TravelWise is an ongoing project with a set of practical actions that aim to improve road safety and promote sustainable school travel journeys. It is a partnership between Auckland Regional Transport Authority, North Shore City Council, and the school.
Our school is committed to safe, active and sustainable travel to and from school. The benefits include:
- Reduced traffic congestion at the school gates, this improves safety for all children.
- Reduction of polluting car emissions in the environment.
- Helping children learn road safety skills and become familiar with their community.
- Improved engineering infrastructure to promote walking/cycling within the school zone.
- Encouraging walking/cycling to improve children’s fitness and health.
- Encouraging walking/cycling to ensure that children arrive alert and ready to learn.
- Promoting the Walking School Bus.
More information about the TravelWise programme can be found at www.travelwise.org.nz
Walking School Bus
A Walking School Bus (WSB) is a group of children who walk to and from school supervised by adults. Like a real bus, it travels at a set time and children join the bus at special stops situated close to where they live. It is powered by the commitment of adult volunteers who walk as “drivers”.
If you would like more information on joining the WSB, or if you would like help and advice starting up a WSB along your route to school, please contact the school office email@example.com and our TravelWise Coordinator.