Finally it was house leaders camp!!! It was Wednesday the 14th of February and we were so excited. We met with all our luggage ready for a camping sleepover at St George’s Epsom Scout Hall. For some of us it was our first night camping and sleeping in a sleeping bag.

We made our way out to the camp and met in our house leader groups to have a group discussion about what makes a good leader. After finding out what skills we needed to be a good leader we made our new house chants with actions. During the camp we had to earn house points for different activities. Te Tatua won the house chant activity which Mr Fahey judged.

As a whole leadership group Mr Fahey did a communications activity with us and it took some time to work together as one big team. We managed to improve our time and get under 10 seconds which was our record.
Our favourite part during camp was the scavenger hunt. We were put into our houses with a staff member and given a list of 30 items to find and have a picture with for example a letter box ending in 7, a red letter box and a restaurant. We had to find a lot of things and some of them were really hard but some people managed to find them. This was a really good way to communicate. We had an hour and a half to get as much as we could finished. It was a lot of fun and we all would love to do it again. Maungawhau won this challenge.

Then we did an activity with Keith, the activity was you had to make a catapult our equipment  were 10 ice block sticks hot glue and a cap from a bottle top. It was very challenging at first but when you get the hang of it. When kithe came round he made a huge difference and it was so helpful. We also had challenges like how far it will go and the accuracy, so for the accuracy keith had a target on the carpet so how far you can get it into the circle. And the other one was how high it was.

For dinner we had fish and chips they tasted great. Some of got hotdogs some of us got fish and some of us got burgers we all got chips. After that we got all our stuff and set up camp. Girls were at one end and boys were at the other. Next we played wink murder where there is a detective and they go outside while you pick a murder then the detective has to try and guess and if the murder winks at you your dead.

In the morning we got ready to build our hut there were lots of challenges but the one that I think was the most challenging was lighting the candle it was a race and most people basically the girls didn’t know how to light a candle but we all completed the challenge successfully and in the end we all made a hut that was so awesome Yellow house came 4th 3rd was Maungawhau and 2nd was red and 1st was green.
Then after that Martin bought some subways for us. MMMMM yummy. They were so delicious. Later when we had finished our subway we went inside to clean up. While Martin was taking some luggage back to school we had some free time and everybody was playing on the playground. Soon Martin came back and took some other people and some people went in Miss Burt.

At the end when we came back to school it was break time so we played with our friends for a little while. Later when the bell had gone we had to meet with Miss Burt in the hall to swim in the pool and have fun in the pool.  While everybody was walking over to the pool to get in Luke cannon balled into the pool. Miss Burt had bought these little sinkers to play with in the pool. We all had a lot of fun playing, diving and jumping in the pool. It wasn’t that cold and the sun was hot so it was nice.

By: Hargun, Grace & Maddy