Due to the short week please see all the latest information, updates and reminders for events/activities happening in and around the school.
UPCOMING EVENT/ACTIVITY REMINDERS
Ladies Fashion Night Tickets on Sale Now
see below for more information
School Wide Cross Country tomorrow Wednesday 6 June
schedule below, coffee cart onsite from 8:30am
Craft Making Session for School Fair this Thursday 7 June, 7pm in the school staffroom, all welcome!
DIY Project Day for School Fair this Sunday 10 June, 4 – 6pm in the school hall
Scholastic Book Fair next Monday 11 to Friday 15 June
help still needed for this, please see below for more information
Maori and Pasifika Hui/BBQ next Wednesday 13 June, 5pm in room 29
ICAS Spelling Test Day next Wednesday 13 June
ICAS Writing Test Day next Thursday 14 June
Matariki Celebration next Friday 15 June
see below for more information
DIY Project Day for School Fair Day next Sunday 17 June, 4 – 6pm in the school hall
SCHOOL CROSS COUNTRY SCHEDULE
An email will be sent out asap in the morning if the event is to be postponed due to bad weather.
Start and finish on the field
Whole course is run within and surrounding school grounds
The race times:
Year 1 girls (rm 1, 2, 4, 11) (1 Lap) 9:20am
Year 1 boys (rm 1, 2, 4, 11) (1 Lap) 9:30am
Year 1 girls (rm 6, 7, 10) (1 Lap) 9:40am
Year 1 boys (rm 6, 7, 10) (1 Lap) 9:50am
Year 2 girls (1 Lap) 10am
Year 2 boys (1 Lap) 10:10am
Year 3 girls (2 Laps) 10:20am
Year 3 boys (2 Laps) 10:35am
Year 4 girls (3 Laps) 10:50am
Year 4 boys (3 Laps) 11:10am
Year 5 girls (3 Laps) 11:30am
Year 5 boys (3 Laps) 11:50am
Year 6 girls (3 Laps) 12:10pm
Year 6 boys (3 Laps) 12:30pm
CAN YOU HELP?
Reading club is in need of volunteers!
If you are a parent/grandparent/caregiver who can spare 30 min a week to help please email Shoba at firstname.lastname@example.org
Reading club happens in the library weekdays 8:20-8:50am.
Your child does not have to be a part of the club for you to help.
You will be briefed on how you can help the students.
If you know of someone or have another email address for a family member that has not been receiving the weekly newsletter or other communications from the school please let the office know asap please so our records can be updated.
BUBBLEGUM HIP HOP DANCE CREW TO PERFORM AT MAUNGAWHAU
We have been given the opportunity to support and watch the ‘Bubblegum Hip Hop Dance Crew’ who are performing at Maungawhau School this Thursday 7 June 11:40 a.m to 12:10 a.m.
Bubblegum is the junior crew from The Palace Dance Studio. The all-girl junior troupe are aged 10-13 years and train 6 days a week under the tutelage of world-acclaimed choreographer, Parris Goebel.
Bubblegum have placed 1st at the NZ Hip Hop Dance Championships 2010-2018 and are representing New Zealand at the Hip Hop International World Championships in Phoenix, USA this August.
The cost for the show is $2 and the whole school will be attending. The girls are primary and intermediate school age.
Please hand your money to your teacher on Thursday morning.
We are excited to support Bubblegum and have the girls perform this Thursday. Your $2 will help Bubblegum TAKE ON THE WORLD at the world Hip Hop international competition.
WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN REFUGE/FOSTER CARE CALL OUT
Hi guys, with winter coming and families in need can I ask for people’s second hand children’s and women’s clothes please.
I know we have a fair coming up, so please do keep some for that cause too – but if you can also spare some for wearing right now, that would be great too.
We need CLEAN, GOOD CONDITION and WARM clothing for women and children in refuge and foster care. Children going into foster care also need NEW toiletries… toothpaste and brushes, baby stuff (wipes and nappies etc) and for older children, soap and sanitary items. Please bag or box it up and drop on my porch at 35 Kensington Ave any time.
Thank you so much in advance – Dita 021-316-314
Tena Koutou Katoa,
Maungawhau will be celebrating Matariki this June as we always do with an evening of activities, kai and performances by the children. For some children this will be their first performance of the year. They have all been working very hard and we ask that you please make every effort to attend.
Bring along your dinner and there will also be a sausage sizzle for $2. We are also hoping to have a coffee cart this year. Please bring cash.
If there are any parents that could assist in cooking the sausages it would be greatly appreciated. Please let either Robyn Bull or Violet van Muller know.
Date: Friday 15 June
Time: 5:30pm – 7:30pm
Where: Maungawhau School Hall
Te Papa museum have released an awesome online resource for Matariki which is well worth a look. The link is Te Papa – Matariki
Violet van Muller and Robyn Bull.
- LADIES FASHION NIGHT
TICKETS are ON SALE NOW (available on Kindo or from the office) BUY NOW
Get in quick as tickets are limited and half of them were already sold by 12pm – so will sell out fast! (NO DOOR SALES)
For $35 a ticket, you’ll enjoy:
- A Complimentary glass of ‘Coal Pit’ Central Otago, Award Winning wine on arrival.
- A goodie bag worth over $250, filled with product you’ll enjoy and use – believe us when we say, “you won’t be disappointed.”
- Designers showcasing selected items from their collection you can buy on the night – all at discounted prices. Designers like Huffer, Zambesi, Helen Miller Handbags, Erina Emery, Storm and there’s more to be revealed…
- Two top stylist who will style a capsule wardrobe from our pop-up designer shops including our pre-loved clothes.
- Plus a food station to fuel that shopping bug!
You can buy more tickets for friends and family who would like to come. We would recommend doing this, as the following week, we will be releasing ticket sales to the general public, the wider local community. Tickets are limited and there are NO Door Sales on the night. So be quick and don’t miss out on what’s shaping up to be a great night out for the ladies!
LAST DROP OFF DATE FOR PRE-LOVED CLOTHES IS JUNE 18TH!
We are still looking for lots of pre-loved clothing for our 2nd hand pop-up shop, so please clear out that wardrobe and drop your donated items to the office – close date for last drop offs is June 18th.
WIN SPOT PRIZES
Click on the link to connect and share with your friends. Tag 5 friends on this event page to be in to win! https://www.facebook.com/events/2067895873252479/
MATHLETICS RESULTS – Term 2, Week 5
Top Student: Elaine Lim from room 19 with 17,000 points.
Top Class: Room 14 with 38,136 points
FOR YOUR DIARIES (Please check regularly as dates and times can change. Any updates in red will be highlighted)
Term 2 (please check the school website calendar, notices coming home for more details on upcoming activities and events)
- School Wide Cross Country – Wednesday 6 June
- Bubblegum Hip Hop Dance Crew Visit – Thursday 7 June
- Craft Making Session for School Fair – Thursday 7 June, 7pm in the school staffroom, all welcome!
- DIY Project Day for School Fair – Sunday 10 June, 4 – 6pm in the school hall
- Scholastic Book Fair – Monday 11 to Friday 15 June
- Maori and Pasifika Hui/BBQ – Wednesday 13 June, 5pm in room 29
- ICAS Spelling Test Day – Wednesday 13 June
- ICAS Writing Test Day – Thursday 14 June
- Matariki Celebration – Friday 15 June
- DIY Project Day for School Fair Day – Sunday 17 June, 4 – 6pm in the school hall
- Waipuna Middle School Stardome Trip – Monday 18 June: rooms 13 and 14, Tuesday 19 June: rooms 15 and 16, Wednesday 20 June: room 17, Thursday 21 June: rooms 22 and 23
- Literacy Information Evening – Thursday 21 June, 6:30 – 8pm
- Auckland Regional Chess Tournament – Monday 25 June
- Sausage Sizzle – Friday 29 June led by room 24
- Ladies Fashion Event – Saturday 30 June
- End of Term 2 – Friday 6 July, 3pm finish
Literacy Information Evening for parents on Thursday 21 June 6:30pm – 8pm
The first part of the evening will be held in the school hall with a presentation which explains the stages that children go through as developing writers.
The second part of the evening will be workshop based and parents will be asked to select two workshops of their choice.
We are certain that this will be a valuable information evening for all parents to attend so we ask you to please add this date to your calendar.
More information about the Literacy Information Evening will be communicated shortly.
Term 3: TOD (Teacher Only Day) School Closed – Friday 24 August
Term 2 Sports Zones Dates (please note this is for teams of selected students only)
- Cross Country – Tuesday 19 June, held at Fowlds Park, Mt Albert
Term 2 Assembly Timetable (Assemblies start at 2pm. Please note there will be limited room for parents and caregivers at whole school assemblies if they are held in the school hall)
- Friday 1 June – Maungawhau Whole School – led by room 24
- Friday 8 June – Whanake Junior School – led by rooms 4 and 8
- Friday 15 June – Waipuna Middle School – led by room 17
- Friday 22 June – Matauranga Senior School – led by room 28
- Friday 29 June – Maungawhau Whole School – led by rooms 19 and 20 (Senior Habitat)
TERM 2 BOT MEETING DATES
Meetings are held in the school staffroom and start at 5:30pm.
- Thursday 28 June
TERM 2 FOMS MEETING DATES
- next meeting date TBC
CLASSIFIED ADS & UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS
Holistic Hair Showdown Head Lice Treatment Oil –
A Natural, Gentle & Effective Head Lice Solution for the Whole Family
Showdown Head Lice Treatment Oil is a safe and holistic blend of plant oils to actively eliminate lice & eggs. Olive & Coconut oils work to suffocate & immobilise the live lice while Lavender, Tea Tree, Citronella, & Pink Grapefruit essential oils provide natural insecticidal properties.
- All ages and hair types
- Supporting a natural and gentle treatment method to eliminate Head Lice & eggs
- Natural plant oils offer soothing and conditioning benefits to the scalp & hair during treatment
As a preventative measure, and to help avoid future infestation use our Holistic Hair Showdown Shield Spray on a daily basis. Showdown is a safe and holistic blend of natural essential oils and apple cider vinegar to protect against daily infestation of head lice, and to provide condition and shine to the hair.
COMMUNITY FACEBOOK PAGE
Don’t forget to follow us on FACEBOOK for interesting articles, local events & community information, as well as keeping up to date with things happening around our school.