FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Dear Parents and Caregivers
Welcome to another busy week of learning. The week started in our school hall officially welcoming our ERO review team in our school for the week, and the parents of our Year 0 students who have started, or are about to start in Room 12 with Tanya Paterson. What a fantastic turn out of parents we had this morning. I am grateful for all of the hard work Violet van Muller, Robyn Bull and our Kapahaka Teachers do with our students. Learning how to host a powhiri, is an important part of Tikanga Maori, and a great way to learn this skill in context. We intend to powhiri our new students as they begin as a group each term as part of our school culture and learning. A special thank you also to Luke Langdon, who was the Senior School Kapahaka Leader who shared his pepeha today, and to our Kaumatua Hare Paniora.
A reminder that this Wednesday, we are open for supervision only as most of our teachers participate in the primary teachers (NZEI Strike). If your child is attending school this Wednesday, we do need to know asap please. OSCAR will be open before and after school as per normal, and again this needs to be pre-booked.
Unfortunately our once a year Teachers only Day for professional learning has been booked for next Friday 24 August where again the school will be open for supervision only, run by our OSCAR staff and needs to be pre-booked. We did book this date some time ago before we knew about the Strike date. Next Friday we are spending the morning with some externally lead professional learning on STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and maths integration). During the afternoon teachers from Auckland Normal Intermediate and Cornwall Park Primary will be joining us for some professional learning around improving students’ writing outcomes, as part of our work in the ACCoS (Auckland Central Community of Schools).
My thanks to Marilyn Schroeder (Maths Leader) for organising engaging, fun activities to celebrate Maths week this week. Please see further details about this week below from Marilyn.
Have a great week,
UPCOMING EVENT/ACTIVITY REMINDERS
Teacher Only Day (School Closed) – Friday 24 August
MATHS WEEK: 13-17 AUGUST
This week is Maths Week. It’s a chance to take the opportunity to do some special Maths activities.
Your child may be doing some special activities in class; e.g. using the Maths Week Website, problem solving activities.
Please take time to play some board or card games or do some Maths challenges as a family.
Activities you can do:
- Visit the Maths Week Website: https://www.mathsweek.org.nz/
- Board Games: Snakes and Ladders, Monopoly
- Card Games: Uno, Skip Bo, Cooncan, Pairs
- Maths Challenges and Problem Solving: Magic Squares, Puzzles from Puzzle books
- Visit the Families section on the nzmaths website: https://nzmaths.co.nz/families
- Encourage your child to participate in the Problem Solving activities on Mathletics
- Visit the school website and look at the activities under Learning/Mathematics/Knowledge and Basic Facts Activities
Maths Lead Teacher
The Fashion Fundraising Team
SCHOOL FAIR CALL OUT – DRESS UP DAY
1st dress up day – spots and stripes – Thursday 23 August
Junior School – please bring a packet of mini chocolates for FunZone prizes.
Middle School – please bring a packet of wrapped sweets for Lolly Leis e.g. Fruit Bursts
Senior School – please bring a bottle for Mystery bottle stall e.g. Olive Oil, Pasta Sauce, Baby Oil, Gingerbeer, Citronella Oil, Chocolate Sauce, Balsamic Vinegar, Scented Oil Diffuser. Please note – no alcohol. These will be wrapped and used in a mystery bottle raffle.
Term 3, Week 3
Top Student: Hilda Liao from room 3 with 20,127 points
Top Class: Room 9 with 40,984 points
FOR YOUR DIARIES
Term 3 (please check the school website calendar, notices coming home for more details/updates on upcoming activities and events)
- ICAS Maths Test Day – Tuesday 14 August
- Quiz Night – Friday 17 August
- APPA Choir Rehearsal – Monday 20 August
- Fair Dress Up Day (Spots and Stripes) – Thursday 23 August
- Teacher Only Day (School Closed) – Friday 24 August
- Year 5 EOTC Week – Monday 27 August to Friday 31 August
- Year 6 Camp – Wednesday 29 August to Friday 31 August
- Year 4-6 Conferences – Thursday 6 September (more details to follow)
- Students Art Exhibition – Thursday 6 September (more details to follow)
- Fair Dress Up Day (Crazy Hair) – Friday 7 September
- Middle School MOTAT Visit – Tuesday 11 September (rooms 13,14,23 and 17)
- Middle School MOTAT Visit -Wednesday 12 September (rooms 15,16 and 22)
- APPA Choir Rehearsal – Friday 14 September
- Sausage Sizzle Day – Friday 21 September
Term 3 Sports Zones Dates (please note this is for teams of selected students only)
- Gymnastics Zones – Thursday 16 August
- Rugby Zones – Tuesday 28 August (Save Day – Tuesday 4 September)
- Champ of Champs Gymnastics Competition – Thursday 13 September
Term 3 Assembly Timetable (Assemblies start at 2pm. Please note there will be limited room for parents and caregivers at whole school assemblies)
- Thursday 16 August – Matauranga Senior School – led by room 27
- Thursday 23 August – Maungawhau Whole School – led by the Senior Habitat
- Friday 31 August – Whanake Junior School – led by rooms 1 and 3
- Friday 7 September – Waipuna Middle School – led by rooms 15 and 16
- Friday 14 September – Matauranga Senior School – led by the Senior Habitat
- Friday 28 September – Maungawhau Whole School – led by room 28
Term 3 menu available here
TERM 3 BOT MEETING DATES
Meetings are held in the school staffroom and start at 5:30pm.
- Thursday 30 August
- Thursday 27 September
TERM 3 FOMS MEETING DATES
- next meeting date TBC
CLASSIFIED ADS & UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS
Kumon Free Trial – August 2018
Have your child join over 4.2 million students around the world who are experiencing the benefits of this unique method of learning. During the Free Trial, students will have the chance to learn through the Kumon Maths or English Programme and attend a Kumon Education Centre for four consecutive class days.
Contact your local Kumon Education Centre to register for this Free Trial opportunity. Terms and conditions apply.
授课时间：每周二，三，四 下午3点- 3点45
如果您感兴趣，请直接联系ANN老师 firstname.lastname@example.org 或者把您的姓名和电话留给学校的办公室，老师会打电话和您联系。
Ann, our English Language Assistant who takes ESOL groups at the school, is now available for tutoring one to one ESOL lessons after school.
The sessions will be 45 minutes long and cost $30 per session. Sessions will be designed to meet your child’s specific learning level and requirements.
Available weekdays: 3pm – 3.45pm
If you are interested, please email Ann at email@example.com or leave your name and contact number at the office and Ann will ring you.
एन, हमारी इंग्लिश लैंग्वेज टीचर Maungawhau स्कूल में ESOL क्लासेज लेती हैं , अब बच्चों के लिए ESOL classes को पढ़ाने के लिए अवेलेबल है।
क्लासेज 45 मिनट की अवधि के लिए होंगी और चार्जेज $ 30 खर्च होंगे।
क्लासेज डेज : मंगलवार, बुधवार और गुरुवार
समय : 3 बजे 3:45 बजे
कांटेक्ट करें : firstname.lastname@example.org पर ईमेल करें या स्कूल ऑफिस में अपना नाम और टेलीफोन नंबर लिखवा दें और एन आपको कॉल
आपके बच्चे की समझ की अनुसार पढाई का माध्यम तैयार किया जायेगा
जो लोग इंटरस्टेड हैं कॉल करके रजिस्टर कराइये!!
COMMUNITY FACEBOOK PAGE
Don’t forget to follow us on FACEBOOK for interesting articles, local events & community information, as well as keeping up to date with things happening around our school.